Devon Counselling College is committed to protecting your privacy and security. This policy explains how and why we use your personal data and to make sure you remain informed and in control of your information.
DCC will not utilise your data without receiving your agreement in writing. If you decide to be on our database in order to receive information regarding our training and other associated communication as any time you can decide to:
- no longer receive communications from us and be removed from our systems
- update information on request
- request an outline of what information we hold on you
We are also committed to keeping you informed in the unlikely event of a data breach and to:
- not hold information for longer than ‘absolutely necessary’
- hold a regular review of all data we process
- never sell your personal data
- we will not share data with any other organisations
You can decide not to receive communications or change how we contact you at any time. If you wish to do so or have any questions in relation to this policy or how we use your personal data, please contact us here.
Your personal data (i.e. any information which identifies you, or which can be identified as relating to you personally) will be collected and used by Devon Counselling College. Data controller number: Z1214214.
What information we collect – Personal data you provide
We collect data you provide to us when joining a course or asking to be included on our communication database. We hold examples of the following information:
- personal details (name, email, address, telephone etc., emergency contacts and any information relevant to your wellbeing)
- financial information (payment information such as outstanding balances)
- details of any courses you have attended, your interests and preferences
How we use information
We only ever use your personal data with your consent, or where it is necessary in order to:
- enter into, or perform, a contract with you
- comply with a legal duty
- protect your vital interests
- for our own (or a third party’s) lawful interests, provided your rights don’t override the these.
Please be aware that we are not obliged to provide references for current or past learners and will never provide a reference to an outside agency if you have not requested this, in writing. In any event, we’ll only use your information for the purpose or purposes it was collected for (or else for closely related purposes).
We use personal data to communicate with people, to promote Devon Counselling College, this includes keeping you up to date with our upcoming courses.
We use personal data for administrative purposes (i.e. to carry on our business activities). This includes:
- performing our obligations under learners contracts
- managing finances – course payments and instalments
- maintaining learner/supervisor/counsellor contact details, referee details
How we protect data
We employ a variety of physical and technical measures to keep your data safe and to prevent unauthorised access to or use or disclosure of your personal information.
Electronic data and databases are stored on secure computer systems and we control who has access to information (using both physical and electronic means).
Where we store information
Devon Counselling College is based in the UK and we store our data within the European Union.
How long we store information
We will only use and store information for so long as it is required for the purposes it was collected for. How long information will be stored for depends on the information in question and what it is being used for. For example, if you ask us not to send you marketing emails, we will stop storing your emails for marketing purposes (though we’ll keep a record of your preference not to be emailed).
We continually review what information we hold and delete what is no longer required. We never store payment card information.
Keeping you in control
We want to ensure you remain in control of your personal data. Part of this is making sure you understand your legal rights, which are as follows:
- the right to confirmation as to whether or not we have your personal data and, if we do, to obtain a copy of the personal information we hold (this is known as subject access request)
- the right to have your data erased (though this will not apply where it is necessary for us to continue to use the data for a lawful reason)
- the right to have inaccurate data rectified
Please keep in mind that there are exceptions to the rights above and, though we will always try to respond to your satisfaction, there may be situations where we are unable to do so.
If you would like further information on your rights or wish to exercise them, please write to our Data Protection Officer at Devon Counselling College, Sheila Robb House, Oak Place, Newton Abbot, Devon, TQ12 4EX.
You can complain to the Devon Counselling College directly by contacting our data protection officer using the details set out above.
If you are not happy with our response, or you believe that your data protection or privacy rights have been infringed, you can complain to the UK Information Commissioner’s Office which regulates and enforces data protection law in the UK. Details of how to do this can be found at www.ico.org.uk.
Links to other sites
Our website contains hyperlinks to other websites. We are not responsible for the content or functionality of any of those external websites (but please let us know if a link is not working by using the contact form on our website.
When purchasing goods or services from any of the businesses that our site links to, you will be entering into a contract with them (agreeing to their terms and conditions) and not with DCC.