(NCPS Quality Checked Level 3 Equivalent)
April 2024 Start (Fortnightly Monday)
About this course
Our NCPS Quality Checked Foundation Certificate in Counselling is where your journey can begin or continue (depending on your prior learning or experience). In this 14-session course, you will explore counselling skills and theory at a deeper level. You will also learn about the importance of personal development and engage in your own self-discovery; some students say that this course is life-changing!
We will introduce you to a range of counselling skills, and you will have the opportunity to practice and develop these skills with each other in a safe environment where your tutor will be on hand to help. You will also learn about some of the various schools of thought and theoretical models, including Person-Centred Theory, Gestalt and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT). The aim of this is to enable you to become a competent ‘helper’ or ‘listener’ and to be in a position to use counselling skills to listen to people in need of support.
In addition to developing counselling skills and exploring counselling theory, we will introduce and explore working ethically and safely using the National Counselling and Psychotherapy Society (NCPS) Code of Ethical Practice.
The course is designed for people who are interested in:
- Progressing to become a qualified counsellor
- Developing counselling skills further and gaining an understanding of the theories and concepts involved in counselling
- Other supporting job roles (e.g. health and social care, youth work, pastoral work, education, learning and development, voluntary and community work)
- Planning a career change, returning to work after a career break
- Learning about the subject and increasing personal development and self-awareness
There are no specific recommended prior learning requirements for this qualification, as no prior knowledge is presumed. However, if you have no prior experience or knowledge of counselling, you may feel more comfortable starting with our Introductory Certificate in Counselling. Please give us a call if you are unsure about which course is right for you.
Applicants will be aged 19 and over, willing to engage in personal development, complete the written work, and be computer literate. Entry is at the discretion of Devon Counselling College.
We take equality, diversity and inclusion very seriously at Devon Counselling College. As well as integrating the concepts of equality, diversity and inclusion into all of our courses, we welcome students from diverse backgrounds in the spirit of integration, non-oppressive practice and safety.
The Foundation Certificate in Counselling aims to:
- Help you to develop a range of counselling skills so that you can use them in situations to listen to or help others
- Enable you to understand the theories that underpin these skills
- Explain the difference between ‘helping’ or ‘listening’ and counselling
- Teach you how to provide a safe ‘helping’ or ‘listening’ session
- Introduce counselling modalities, including Person-Centred Counselling, Gestalt and CBT
- Support you to progress to similar qualifications at a higher level or a role in which counselling skills are used
- Encourage exploration of your own self-development
There are three assignments in this course, which will be marked by your tutor.
You will need to write a reflective learning journal after each session, which your tutor will review. Your tutor will guide you on this at the start of the course.
To be awarded this qualification, you must maintain as close to 100% attendance as possible. If attendance drops below 80%, a tutorial will be arranged to discuss this.
There are no related or extra costs associated with this course other than books that you may wish to buy. We also have a small library of books that are available for students to borrow on a short-term basis whilst they are on the course.
This qualification can be used as a progression towards a range of qualifications, including our Advanced Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling, other counselling diplomas (level 4 or equivalent), counselling foundation degrees, advice and guidance courses and workplace mentoring.
NCPS Quality Checked Training
This course has been quality-checked by the National Counselling and Psychotherapy Society (NCPS). This means that the NCPS has looked at the course program, learning materials, and overall quality of the course and deemed it to offer valuable training equivalent to an Ofqual level 3 qualification.
This qualification does not qualify learners to practice as a counsellor, nor is it a direct route to the accredited register.
April 2024 Start
15 April 2024 – 9 December 2024
Fortnightly Monday 10:00 – 17:00
Early Payment Fee £900
Pay £200 deposit to secure your place on the course, followed by one payment of £700 made by BACS one calendar month prior to course start date.
Course Fee £1000
Pay £200 deposit to secure your place on the course, followed by 5 monthly standing order payments of £160.
Costs included in course fees
- Registration and certification fee
- Tuition and assessment
- Individual tutorial support
- Short term loan of a selection of books
- Wi-fi access
- Access to online college platform, The Study Lounge
Costs not included in the course fees
- Purchase of books
Please contact us for more information.