Certificate in Counselling Skills and Studies
This qualification is where your journey can begin or continue (depending upon your prior learning and/or experience), in this 14 session course you will explore counselling skills and theory at a deeper level.
This course provides you with the necessary training to apply for a Diploma or Foundation Degree in Counselling training.
For people interested in
- becoming a qualified counsellor
- developing your counselling skills further and to gain understanding of its theoretical root, helping you to enhance these skills in your workplace
- complement other programmes (e.g. heath and social care, children’s care, learning and development, voluntary and community work)
- planning a career change, return to work
- learning about the subject and increasing personal development and self-awareness
In addition to counselling skills development and the exploration of several models of counselling, you will understand and apply the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) Ethical Framework, diversity and supervision.
Personal exploration is an essential part of this course and you will document your development by use of a personal journal.
There are no specific recommended prior learning requirements for this qualification as no prior knowledge is presumed.
Entry is at the discretion of Devon Counselling College and applicants should aged 19 or above and be able to satisfy us of their suitability for this level of learning and personal development.
About this course
This is an ideal qualification for those seeking to enhance their functional role through the use of counselling skills. You will gain an understanding of a range of counselling skills and have the opportunity to examine some of the various schools of thought/theoretical models associated with them.
This qualification can be used as a progression route towards a range of qualifications, e.g. Level 4 Diploma in Counselling or Foundation Degree, advice and guidance and workplace mentoring.
This qualification does not qualify learners to practise as a counsellor.
Aims and Objectives
This qualification aims to:
- introduce you to the use of counselling skills in everyday life and work and some of the approaches that underpin the use of these skills.
The objectives of this qualification are to help learners to:
- progress to similar qualifications at a higher level
- progress to a role in which counselling skills are used
- develop counselling skills
- understand the different approaches involved in the use of counselling skills
- understand the different contexts and situations where counselling skills are used
- appreciate the importance of self-development
Progression to Higher Level Studies
This qualification aims to provide learners with a number of progression options, including higher level studies at university or further education colleges. Level 3 qualifications enable the development of these skills. Although there is no single definition of higher level learning skills, they include:
- checking and testing information
- supporting your points with evidence
- self-directed study
- thinking of yourself
- analysing and synthesising information/materials
- critical thinking and problem solving
- working collaboratively
- reflection upon learning and identifying improvements
Level 3 criteria can require learners to analyse, draw conclusions, interpret or justify, which are all examples of higher level skills. This means that the evidence provided for the portfolio will also demonstrate the development and use of higher level learnings skills.
To be awarded the Certificate in Counselling Skills and Studies, you are required to successfully complete assignments and complete a learning journal for each session.
We are always happy to give you any necessary assistance and guidance with course work and writing presentation.
None, other than the possible purchase of books to aid learning, although we have a limited selection of book that you may like to borrow – first-come, first-served basis.
This is not just a training course where you learn the skills and theory required to obtain the qualification; it will encourage you to draw on and use your own individual life experience and develop your own special way of working therapeutically with clients. You really get to know who you are.